When summertime comes it’s a celebration, people gettin’ out all across the nation and it seems like everybody’s gettin’ together. There’s music playin’ everywhere you go, got Dandy Dan talkin’ on the radio and it seems like everybody’s diggin’ that hot summer weather. Well, California sun shines all the time, but East Coast summers are a different kind, doesn’t last as long so it means a little bit more… it’s a Syracuse summer, everybody’s under the sun, oh yeah.
Gary Frenay & the Neverly Bros.
When temperatures become warmer in July and August, the Town Shop reduces building hours to just two days a week (Mondays and Tuesdays, from 5-10pm) so that we can get outdoors and do many other things.
Here are some highlights:
- Kayak (Nine Mile Creek) Mondays 5pm
- Kayak (Seneca River 7/8, 8/26, 1pm
- Kayak (South Sandy Creek) 7/10, 7/29, 8/28 10am
- Kayak (Owasco Creek) 7/15 1pm
- Kayak (Tioughnioga River) 9/2, 11am
- Volleyball (Gillie Lake) Tuesdays 6:15pm
- Seva (Samaritan Center) 7/7, 7/21, 8/4, 8/11, 8/25, 9/1, 9/8 3pm
- Seva (Sunshine Horse Rescue) 7/3, 7/17, 7/31, 8/14 9am
- Hiking/Swimming (Green Lakes State Park) 7/6, 7/28, 8/10 12pm
- Hiking/Swimming (Ithaca Gorges) 8/5 10am
- Hiking/Swimming (Fillmore Glen) 8/12 12pm
- Hiking/Swimming (Chimney Bluffs) 8/19 1pm
- Hiking/Swimming (Taughannock Falls) 8/21 12pm
- Vegetarian Cooking Class With guest chef Ethan Camwell, culinary student at Johnson Wales. Held at the Vermilya’s house, on Seneca River. Swimming too! 8/14 3pm
- Zoo (Rosamond Gifford Zoo) 8/20 1pm
- Falcon Ridge Folk Festival One of the best music festivals ever! July 22-25
- Eating Our Way Around The World The Taj (India Buffet) 8/3 12pm
- Perseids Meteor Shower Hike up into Camillus Unique Forest to view. 8/11 8pm
- A Midsummer Eve’s Poetry & Music Open Mic (Gillie Lake) 8/18 7pm
- Chenango Colorscape Arts Fest (Norwich, NY) Great art and live music. September 10-11
All outdoor activities are weather permitting. If we get rained out we will try to reschedule. Also, if temps are in the 90s, the Town Shop building will probably be closed, and we’ll look for some place to cool off instead. If in doubt, call us. Activities that involve travel require sign up. More experiences may be announced as the summer unfolds.
Melissa Ahern from CMS will be working with us some days this summer, so come welcome her.