April begins with unseasonably warm temps, and while this may be an “April Fools” of sorts, it portends the Town Shop’s schedule shift towards fewer building hours and much more activity outdoors. After a long winter, everyone wants to be outside as much as possible, immersed in nature and recreation. And the Town Shop strives to be “low impact” on the neighborhood where it is located.
Here are some program highlights:
- Seva (Samaritan Center) Wednesdays 3pm
- Seva (Sunshine Horse Rescue) 4/3, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/15, 5/29 9am
- Seva (Earth Day) 4/17 9am
- Kayak (Nine Mile Creek) Mondays starting 5/3, 5pm
- Kayak (Owasco Creek) 5/2 12pm (Experienced paddlers!)
- Kayak (Onondaga Creek) 5/16 12pm (An urban adventure!)
- Hiking (Beaver Lake) 4/19 12pm
- Hiking (Chimney Bluffs) 4/22 11am
- Hiking (Camillus Unique Forest) 4/29 3:30pm
- Hiking (Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge) 5/6 3pm (Possibly see bald eagles)
- Hiking (Highland Forest) 5/23 12pm
- Picnics (Onondaga Lake Park) 5/13, 5/20 3:30pm (Bring you own food to grill) and Clark Reservation 5/27
- Volleyball (Gillie Lake) Tuesdays at 6pm starting 4/27
- Song Swap 4/15 7pm Featuring Justin Jarmacz, Chrissy Gerace, Ryan Ta, and Mike Waters
- Eating Our Way Around The World 4/17 El Canelo (Mexico) right after Earth Day and Friday 4/23 Secret Garden (Japan/Korea) 12pm Delicious!
- Uno Tournament 4/28 7pm Organized by Heather Wheeler
- Cooking Class 5/5 6pm Bento Boxes (Fill your own and take with you) with guest chef Heather Boss
- Plantings 5/12 Right after seva, help Cheryl with mini-plant repotting and take one with you.
- The Big Apple (NYC) Friday to Sunday 6/4-6/6, talk with Dave
All outdoor activities are weather permitting. If we get rained out we will try to reschedule (check us on Facebook for posts of changes).
Coming this Summer
More kayaking, seva, hiking, volleyball, Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, Berkshires camping, Chenango Colorscape, Ithaca Gorges, Lake Ontario, etc. Stay Tuned!
Also, be sure to check out Travis Sky Ingersol’s new skateboarding website and contribute to it. Sometime we will plan a trip to Philadelphia to stay with him and explore.