The Town Shop Staff, youth participants, and volunteers wish to express sincere thanks to Solvay Bank for once again providing pizza for the Town Shop birthday celebration on March 4th. Their generosity has spanned over three decades! Thank You.
Not too many human endeavors last 39 years, which is why it is remarkable that on March 7, the Town Shop will be starting its 40th year of operation. Predictions back in 1971 were “it might last 2 years, 3 years tops”. It is a tribute to the community group that created the program and had the wisdom and good instincts to invite teens into the creation process and give them real power (to design, choose directors, pick the building, decide how to decorate and what goes on there, set the standards, etc.). And it is a tribute to the various funders and individuals who have donated money, time, and energy to sustain it.
The birthday will be celebrated with two live music events: Thursday, March 4, at 7pm, White Picket Fence, with special guests Run Forever (from Pittsburgh, PA), and Thursday, March 11, at 7pm, The Handsome Bastards with special guests. Come celebrate the start of our 40th year with us.
Other scheduled activities this program period include:
- Seva (Samaritan Center) Wednesdays 3pm
- Seva (Sunshine Horse Rescue) 2/20, 2/27/, 3/13, 3/27 9am
- Cross Country Ski/Snowshoe 2/1, 2/9, 2/15, 2/18/, 2/21, 2/28 (Moonlight) 3/2, 3/21 (Spring skiing up on Tug Hill Plateau) If there’s snow, we go.
- Town Shop All-Nighter 2/12-2/13 7pm-10am Come for some or all the time.
- Zoo (Rosamond Gifford Zoo) 2/16 1pm The town shop has a group pass.
- CNY Scholastic Art Exhibition 2/23 3pm at OCC
- Dodgeball 2/25, 3/25 6:30pm
- Peter Mulvey Concert He’s performed twice at the Town Shop, outstanding singer/songwriter on 2/26 at Funk & Waffles (Talk with Dave)
- Febfest 2/27 10am We’ve offered to help the Camillus Methodist Church with childrens’ face painting. Talk with Cheryl if you are willing to volunteer for an hour or two.
- Eating Our Way Around The World 3/6 12pm This time, Italy!
- Cooking Class 3/9 6:30pm Waffles and Pancakes
- Classic Movie Night Hosted by Dan Nolan. 3/16 7pm, “Back To The Future”
Town Shop alums Jeff and Julie Schlecht have graciously offered to host the next Town Shop Big Apple (NYC) trip (Sometime in April or May). Stay tuned. Also, the Town Shop now has WiFi and is now on Facebook!